In August, 1930, artist Grant Wood passed by Lucinda Grenton’s cottage and was immediately struck by its architectural style. He painted it and thereby he created an icon, making the house famous all over the country. Many people who had seen the painting even set out for a visit of Miss Grenton’s property. Unfortunately she still had a perfect aim at that time, so it turned out to be the last journey for a lot of those art seekers.
To put an end to this a copy of the house was built in Eldon, Iowa, solely for the satisfaction (and safety) of art loving tourists – far away from Lucinda Grenton (henceforth Winchester) and her shotgun.